Winter Spirit

Hey blog world! Today was an emotional day. It was my last day of my winter work term in heaven (Spirit of Newfoundland)! Out of all of them, this one was the most magical and dazlious work term because of the Christmas season. Christmas makes everything more magical!

There were many things I loved about working this season. The main thing was being with my 2nd family again! I love everyone at Spirit! They are kind, funny, compassionate and all around the most wonderful people ever!

I also loved sometimes getting to hear the Christmas luncheon before I left. I got off at 1:00, around that time the luncheon started. Sometimes my dad would be a little late picking me up and so I’d sit in the Screech Room and listen to Peter and Shelley sing! They have absolutely beautiful voices!

The highlight of my day was always chatting with Blaine the custodian. As I folded napkins in the Screech Room, he’d have his coffee break in there and we’d chat. We’d talk about all kinds of things! Sports, the news, music, etc.

One day, I sat with Boomer, the drummer at Spirit during my break. Funniest half hour of my life! Boomer told me jokes and sang parodies and I nearly died laughing! He’s cracked (the Newfoundland term for foolish)! I really like him.

I was assigned to do coat check as the guests were coming in for the luncheons. That was one of my favourite tasks! I really enjoyed interacting with the guests.

On the last day of the luncheon, the staff were all treated to it! Thanks Paul (the general manager)! It was lovely breaking bread with my 2nd family and getting to enjoy Peter and Shelley’s singing! The best part of that day was singing with Peter and Shelley! I got to sing my favourite carol “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” and explain to the audience my emotional connection to him. We were both born extra special (him with a red nose and me with Aspergers and Agenesis of the Corpus Collosum) and ridiculed because of our differences. It warms my heart and makes me so emotional at the end when he gets to guide the sleigh and is finally accepted and loved for who he is! I wish that me and all others with special needs could be too!

As I said, today was my last day. It was very eventful! It started with hanging out with my nephew! My nephew Lincoln and his parents (my sister and brother in-law) are visiting from Australia and they dropped me off at work today. We got there a little early so I could show them the Temple and hang out with Lincoln a bit before my shift. The little munchkin had lots of fun exploring! His favorite thing in the Temple is the piano in the Screech Room. I think I’ve got a future Bill Brennan on my hands! Both times he’s visited me at work he went straight for the piano and had the biggest smile on his face as he experimented with the keys and made music! It’s the cutest thing ever to watch! One day, I bet he’ll be up on stage at Spirit playing the keyboard. Here’s a picture I took with him and my brother in-law today

My first task of the day was silverware polishing. As I did this, I danced and sang along with the radio (my favourite station Coast 101.1 was on!) After that, I did inventory.

After completing my final task (writing a Facebook post about Spirit’s upcomming shows), as always I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. That’s it. My last task of my last day is done.

Peter arrived just before I started writing the Facebook post. Once I had it complete, he said he wanted to talk to me. He wasn’t wearing his usual contageous smile and that worried me. He said he had bad news. Uh-oh! I didn’t know where this was going to go and I felt very nervous. As his Christmas gift, I gave him a box of “Open When” letters, letters for him to open on various different occasions (“Open When You’re Bored”, “Open When You Need A Hug”, “Open When You Want A Night Away From The Kitchen” etc). He told me that he couldn’t find them. He’d been praying to St. Anthony (“Dear St. Anthony come around, something’s lost that must be found.”), had the cast of the Christmas show scouring the building looking for them, absolutely no luck! I worked hard on them and was sad they were lost. Thankfully, St. Anthony did come around today! Peter brought me backstage to help him look and within seconds of going back there, on the floor I saw the green box with a purple lid that contained his letters!!! Both of us heaved a sigh of relief! I’m so happy that we found it! Peter is too. Now that he’s got it back, I can’t wait to see what he thinks each time he opens a letter! I put a lot of thought and heart into each one and hope he likes them! He’s opening one tonight with the cast of the Christmas show (“Open When It’s Closing Night”)! I’m excited to hear what they think of it!

I said my goodbyes and gave hugs to Kara, Paul and Peter, then went into the kitchen to do the same with Alex. As always, this part of the day was very emotional. I was trying hard not to cry. I  even said goodbye to the Temple. I walked down a few stairs, turned and looked back at the Temple and blew it a kiss

Thank you Peter, Paul and Kathie (my three amazing bosses) for having me back this season and thank you everyone else at Spirit for being you! You’re the best co-workers ever! “Whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend.” I can’t wait to see you all on Saturday when Glen and I see “ABBA: Gotta Get The Scoop” and I look forward to returning to work this summer!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s