Hey blog world! Happy first day of school! l thought that since I have finished High School and have lots of experience I’d give some tips to students just entering High School, specifically mine, QE!
- Heads up to the clothing and textiles/fashion students. The sewing machines in the clothing room are female! They are sensitive and moody. Be prepared for lots of frustrating malfunctions.
- Mr. Travis has a “phoney shoebox”. USE IT! Especially Histoire Mondiale students. That class involves a lot of memorization so pay really good attention. Put your phone in the box so you won’t get distracted by it and thus have it sniped by Mr. T. I think the snipe free days record last year was 20 days. Try and break that!
- Mr. Penney’s writing class, even though it’s just a fun last period on a Friday and special occasion game, keep your Boggle sheets. When he checks your portfolio everything up to that point should be in there, including Boggle. You lose marks for missing things.
- Also to the writing students. When doing an SSW (sustained silent writing) write whatever pops into your head. It doesn’t matter what you write as long as you write. If Mr. Penney sees you not writing he will start the timer over and the activity will go on longer.
- Go to the breakfast club. Three words, free hot chocolate!
- Participate in theme days. Like Hogwarts we give out house points! We split students up by gender and grade level (the grade 11 boys are all one team, grade 10 girls are all one team etc) and on theme days you get points for your team if you participate. The team with the most points at the end of the year gets a pizza party! The grade 11 girls were the lucky winners last year. I wonder who it will be this year?
- There’s a math help center every Thursday and sometimes teachers will offer help sessions in their subjects after school. Take advantage of those. I regret not going to Mr. Travis’ world history help.
- Get your career hours by volunteering in Miss Hemmings’ special needs classroom. Read to the students, play games with them, color with them, even just chat with them! They are the sweetest bunch of students and spending time with them will make your heart smile.
- Join one of our sports teams or clubs. We have lots to offer! Improv team, art club, choir, jazz band, basketball, hockey, eco crew, etc.
- Workplace safety is fun but can be graphic at times. Mr. Blundon will usually warn warn the class when he’s going to turn on a graphic video. If you need to leave let him know. He’s perfectly fine with that.
- Be on time. If you’re late three times in a week you will get detention.
- One for you Grade 11 and 12’s, hazing the grade 10’s is not cool! High School is a new experience and for some it’s pretty scary. Be friendly and welcome them to the school! Show them around maybe! If you do choose to be stunned and haze a grade 10 then you will not be allowed to go to prom.
Good luck to all the students in the 2015-2016 school year!