Hey blog world! As you all know I absolutely adore Spirit of Newfoundland! In my opinion it’s heaven on earth! I had the best summer of my life working there this summer! It was unforgettable! I made so many memories and I thought today I’d share them with you (also for more on my job at Spirit see the post “Summer Job”.)
- On days when there were shows Chef Darrell came in to cook the food for the night. He turns on the radio (usually either Coast 101.1 or 97.5 K-Rock) and sings along with it. The kitchen door was usually open so I was able to hear him. He isn’t bad. It made my day hearing Chef Darrell sing.
- I got to take a nice walk downtown with my co-worker Hillary one day to hand out vouchers and screech cupcakes at BnB’s, hotels etc. I enjoyed our walk. It was great exercise and me and Hillary had a nice chat while we were walking. I liked talking with her and learning about her and telling her about myself. Another one of my favorite parts of that walk was the free sample I received at Newfoundland Chocolate Company. Yum!
- I don’t know it’s purpose but for some reason Spirit has a rocking horse. One day my co-worker Wayne came out of the stage area on the rocking horse acting like a cowboy and pretending to ride it! That was hilarious!
- On my first day I got a really cool tour of the downstairs area of Spirit from my co-worker Evan. I saw some awesome stuff on that tour! The dressing room, costume room and prop closet were my favorite bits of the tour.
- I got to do some baking with Kathie (one of my bosses). That was fun! We made black bean chocolate cake and chocolate bread pudding. They were both delicious!
- 7 years ago I saw my very first Spirit show. It was “Viva Lost Elvis”. One of the first things Peter (another one of my bosses) got me to do was watch a video of that show and transcribe the script. It was amazing getting to see the show again.
- I learned what hotdogs are made of. The day after Canada day Peter and I were talking about what we did on our day off and I said that I had a barbeque. He asked me what my favorite thing to eat on the barbeque was and I said hotdogs. Peter then told me what was in a hotdog. I forget it now (and I know you’ll be reading this Peter so please don’t remind me) but it was gross! I still eat them but not as often now that I know what’s in them.
- One day as I was packaging screechettes Bill Brennan (he sometimes plays piano in the shows) brought his dog in! She was adorable. Very soft too. I enjoyed getting to meet the little cutie and pet her.
- I witnessed my first screech in! A screech in is a special ceremony that allows you to become an honorary Newfoundlander. You try some of our food (a peppermint knob and a piece of “Newfie Steak” (bologna)), talk like a Newfoundlander, have a shot of screech (a traditional Newfoundland rum) and the best part kiss a cod! One day when I had finished all my work early and was sat in the bar reading Hillary came over to me and said there were some people getting screeched in who wanted it to be filmed and asked me to do it. I said yes. It was the very first time I had seen people getting screeched in. It was cool!
Today was my last day at work. As soon as I had finished my final task for the day I got a sinking feeling in my stomach and realized that was it. That was my last task. I had no more work left to do at Spirit. After accidentally overheating the paper shredder while completing said final task I went upstairs to let Paul (the general manager (and one of my bosses)) know and when I turned to the bar and saw him there was a cake! He said I wasn’t supposed to see that yet but it was for me. He then handed me a card signed by everyone. I was so happy that they did this for me. So much so that I cried! We all sat down around a table in the screech room and enjoyed the delicious chocolate cake and talked. It was a lovely going away party. This is a group picture we took during the party . One big happy family! I’ve grown so close to everyone at Spirit that they don’t even feel like bosses or co-workers. They feel like family! I miss them all dearly already! I can’t wait to come back and see a show and see them all again! What’s been the best part of your summer? Tell me in the comments! Also good luck to all the students tomorrow as the 2014-2015 school year begins.