Summer Games

Hey blog world! Today I got back home from the Special Olympics 2013 Summer games in St Johns. I had such a blast! We all met up on Friday at the bowling alley and got on the bus to get to MUN (Memorial University of Newfoundland) where we would be staying. The man driving our bus has a bunch of mix tapes his Daughters made him so he played them for us. He played lots of really great songs like “Wagon Wheel” by Old Crow Medicine Show (Their version by the way is the original. Darius Rucker only covered the song), “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey and “All Summer Long” by Kid Rock I sat with G.W who I chose to be my “Bus Buddy” for the weekend and we had such a great time singing along with all the songs! When we got to the MUN campus we had 42 (I counted yesterday) stairs to go up to get to our floor! I had 3 pieces of luggage to carry up those stairs! A cooler with my drinks, a backpack full of food (and also my electronics in the front compartment) and my huge purple suitcase! It was not very easy and it hurt my arms going up all those stairs with all that stuff! I was so relieved when I finally set everything down on the floor! Then one of the leaders gave us each a room key. I cannot begin to explain how firetrucking complicated the locks on our doors were! Every day I had to ask someone for help because I either couldn’t unlock the door, I couldn’t lock the door or I couldn’t get the key out of the door! When I got into my room there were 2 beds. One on each side of the room. I set my stuff down on the bed on the right. Later we got on the bus and went to the Techniplex for the opening ceremony of the games. When we got there I saw loads of people I hadn’t seen in such a long time! I ran into an old friend from Happy Valley Goose Bay who I met in Gander when I was chosen as spokesperson for my team and got to go there for a conference. Here’s a picture of us together at that conference 2010 Gander Conference 004. She’s the beautifully bald girl in the grey sweater. I was thrilled to see her again! I went up to her and she gave me a big hug! I loved that! At the end of the opening ceremonies a singer named George Anstey performed “Share The Dream” a song he’d written for this years games. It was really cool! I got up and danced with a few of the Gander athletes! Then we went back to MUN. On the 2nd floor of the building where we were staying there was a TV room. One of the other teams (I don’t know but I think it was either Exploits Valley or Gander) was in there watching TV and they invited us to join them. That was so nice! We watched “Just For Laughs Gags” and “Wipeout Canada”. After the qualifier round of “Wipeout Canada” pizza came! As a special treat pizza was ordered for all the athletes! It was from Pizza Hut. It tasted really yummy. A little while after that I went to bed. It was really hot that night! So much so I had to take off both my blankets! The next morning I was woken up by a knock on the door by one of my coaches. I don’t know exactly what time it was but I do know that it was early. Way way way too early! 5:00 or something like that I think. I got dressed in my bowling shirt and a pair of pants then we took the bus to Knights of Colombus for breakfast. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good. I’d give it a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. The saussages weren’t bad but I found the toast kinda oily. I really liked the cereal though. I also had a nice cup of tea. Then we went to the bowling alley. We played 3 games that day. My team bowled against Clarenville. I was happy to be bowling against them because we bowled against them in a tournament in Clarenville a few months ago. It was great to see a lot of those athletes again. I didn’t do very well the first game but that was probably because I wasn’t used to the lanes. The next 2 games I bowled really well though! I was really proud of myself for what I’d done! Then we went back to Knights of Columbus for our dinner. We had chicken wraps from Mary Browns. They were good! We then went back to MUN. G.W and I were going to play cards together but he said he needed to get a shower first so I took my deck of Disney Princess UNO cards and played with my friend S.L.F for a while. I completely lost track of time and forgot all about G.W! His Father (who was also one of our coaches) came and knocked on S.L.F’s door and said that G.W had been waiting and waiting for me! I felt so bad for forgetting about him! Thankfully he forgave me! We then played UNO together. My friend P joined in as well. It was his first time playing and he was amazing at it! He bet me and G.W 4 times in a row! Then we played Guess Who. S.L.F joined us and we played in teams. Every now and then we’d switch team members so we all got the chance to play on different teams. I can’t remember who won or how many times but I know it was a lot of fun! When we got to supper they had the deserts already laid out in front of us. It was cheesecake! I love cheesecake! I was so tempted to eat it but I knew I shouldn’t. I gave my desert to S.L.F and told her not to let me have it until I was done my meal! I figured that would be the best way to keep me from eating it too early. The meal we had was stuffed chicken. It had gravy so I asked for one without. It tasted awesome! They had carrotts, potatoes and turnips on the side. The carrotts and potatoes were good but the turnips weren’t. They were mashed and I don’t like mashed turnips. When I got to eat my cheesecake I loved it! It was delicious! That night there was a soccer game between Mount Pearl and St Johns. We went for a little bit then got back onto the bus and went to DQ! We all went inside and got ice cream! I had a rolo blizzard. Those are my favorite kind of blizzards! When we got back to MUN and it was time for bed I wasn’t quite ready to go to sleep so I got my iPod out, put my headphones in and listened as George Jones and Jim Reeves sang me lullabies (in other words I listened to “Walk Through This World With Me” and “Distant Drums” Those are such pretty slow songs and after listening to them I got a really good nights sleep. It wasn’t as hot that night so I was able to sleep with the small blue blanket that was on the bed. Yesterday morning we went for breakfast again at Knights of Columbus. It was the same stuff as the day before. I just had a saussage, piece of toast and bowl of Special K. After that we got back onto the bus and headed out to the bowling alley once again. The Clarenville team were with us on the bus so I decided to sit with my friend C who was on that team since my bus buddy was in a different division than me and not on my bus. I had my iPod with me and as I was singing along with “They’re All Gonna Know” I saw her dancing along! It was so cute watching her dance to my singing! She was really good at it too! I forget what other songs I sang along the way but the whole time I was singing she was dancing! It was fun! When we got to the bowling alley we weren’t playing against Clarenville again unfortunately. I forget what team it was we were playing against. This time I did another great job and got 2 really good scores! After that we went back to Knights of Columbus for lunch. We had a bag lunch. It was a turkey or ham sandwitch, a juice box and a yogurt tube. I was dissappointed to find out that ham and turkey were the only 2 sandwitch options. I don’t like either of those! Thankfully also in our bags were a ziploc baggie with lettuce and tomato in them to put on our sandwitches. I took the ham off my sandwitch, put the lettuce and tomato on and ate it like that. It wasn’t that bad. The drink that came in my bag was an apple juice box. I don’t like apple juice so I traded with one of the coaches for her orange juice box.Then I decided to have my yogurt tube. It was grape. I don’t like grape yogurt tubes so I traded with another coach for his cherry tube. It was yummy! Then we got to go to the medal ceremony to receive our medals! There were some Newfoundland celebrities there to present those medals. Ryan Snoddon (the “Here and Now” weather man on CBC), Paddy Daly (former co host of “Out Of The Fog” and the host of “Backtalk” on VOCM) and one of the actresses from “Republic of Doyle”. I can’t remember her name or which character she plays. My team won a gold medal! I was so proud! The medal ceremony was really long and I was getting kinda bored. I almost fell asleep! I’m so glad I didn’t! Afterwards we got to go back to our rooms and get ready for the dance. I put on a really pretty purple dress that I had brought with me and had one of the coaches do my hair. She put it up in a pretty french braid. It looked pretty. Then me and my friends L.G, G.W, S.L.F and P played UNO until it was time for the dance. We played 3 games and I won them all! Before we had our dance we had supper. It was turkey. Again there was gravy on it so I asked for none. I then gave my turkey to one of my teammates since I didn’t like it and she wanted some more. I ate all the dressing, peas and carrotts, some of the potato and a bit of the turnip. For desert we had a make your own sundae bar! I got chocolate ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream and sprinkles. It tasted awesome! Then it was time for the dance. There were a lot of us so we were separated. Half of us were downstairs and half of us were upstairs. My team was upstairs. So was the St Johns team. I was very thankful for that because I’m really good friends with one of the St Johns team members and I’d promised to dance with him that night. We had so much fun dancing together! Especially when the DJ played “Lady In Red” by Chris De Burgh for us! I loved slow dancing to that with him! At the end of the night we got back on the bus and headed back to MUN to go to bed. When we got on I completely lost my mind! This is the reason why. I checked my sweater pockets to make sure everything was there. I frantically searched both of them and was unable to find my homemade shrinky dink “Avenue Q” necklace! I was worried thinking that I lost it when I all of a sudden realized it was around my neck LOL! When we got to MUN I was tired and couldn’t wait to go to sleep. This morning we had to pack up all our things and leave. Once again I had to carry my now 4 pieces of luggage (we each got a gift bag with lots of cool stuff inside) down those 42 stairs. My arm was starting to kill me so my friend L.G was super nice and carried my big purple suitcase down the stairs for me. When we got outside we sat at a picnic table and had a bag breakfast. Green grapes, chocolate milk, orange juice boxes (I don’t drink milk so I had an orange juice box), granola bars and McMuffins. I got a saussage one. There was egg on it and since I don’t like egg I picked it off and just ate the saussage, cheese and english muffin. Then we all got back onto the bus and drove home. On the drive home I once again sat with my Bus Buddy and we did lots more singing. Our bus driver once again played lots of awesome songs like “Boot Scootin’ Boogie” by Brooks & Dunn, “Chattahoochie” by Alan Jackson and “Get A Haircut” by George Thorogood and the Destroyers I love that song and rocked out to it and sang along with every word! When I got home I proudly showed off my medals to my parents who were extremely proud of me! Here’s a picture of me with them Medals! I had an awesome time this weekend at the games and can’t wait til next year to hopefully get to go again! Have you ever won a gold medal? Tell me how in the comments!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s